Image

Image
Caption

Friday, February 26, 2021

A place to be on a Snowy Day

 



Leaving Traces

tracks in the snow
words in a story
language of what I have been
reflection of me
my story    

 






On my last day on the high plane of Western Wyoming, six weeks after the first day, I revisited the only serious mishap of the adventure.  You may recall my getting the jeep stuck in snow while attempting to retrace a hike of last August.  I got within five miles thinking the road would be cleared of snow at least enough for a four-wheel-drive jeep.  I was wrong.  

 



The good thing about it was that after a couple of hours of shoveling, a car came up behind me.  I heard it coming, and then saw it get stuck half a mile back down the road. I  walked back, and they walked up.  We met between our disable transportations.  We agreed that without cell phone service and the unlikely event of anyone coming before dark, we had better work together.  We pushed, shoveled, and broke off small branches to put under our tires.  In about two hours both vehicles were free and moving very slowly back down the road.  Only as we approached the better road did a tow truck come, based on a cell phone call where I could not hear anyone on the other end.  It was our cooperation that saved us; neither could have got pout alone. 

 You can still visit my blog post of that adventure at:   https://sharon-wind-river.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2021-01-17T16:28:00-08:00&max-results=7 



Six weeks later, with much more snow on that road, I trudged up it again, leaving the jeep below, to see the place where I was stuck.  Only snowmobiles had been there, and at the place of getting stuck, there was no evidence of anyone having been stuck.  Even the location of the road was almost indistinguishable under drifted snow. 

 





Some places, a cornice had been driven up and over a hilltop by the wind.  Anyone coming up the other side of it would not know that the edge is really an overhang of soft snow, and falling into a heap of snow, or worse into an avalanche is very likely.  

 





The snow that builds up to make cornices is driven by wind from other places where rabbits can still dig through it to find food.  This one did not run away even stop its munching, apparently knowing that I was no threat.  

 





Other places, the snow is undisturbed by wind, lying smooth as a new canvas, where a tree paints a self-portrait.   

 





This high plane of western Wyoming, where it joins the slope of the Wind River Mountains, shapes its blanket of snow into sculptures of many kinds, where the resistance of trees to the wind is like tools of an artist, perhaps inspiring human artists by winds of time, weather and cold. 

 



From Pinedale, Wyoming, I drove west, stopping for the nights at places shown on a map that Michael Angerman has prepared.  See them at: Google Map for Winter 2021 

You can also see the map for the summer trip of 2020 at:  Michael's Map  

Rising above Western Idaho’s high plain of lava, 
this bulge of magma rose about half-a-billion years ago, 
like a bear emerging from hibernation, huge, but only 
threatening to the unprepared. 

  




My intention was to drive from Bend, Oregon, to Corvallis today, but a severe winter storm has caused me to wait it out.  This is how it looked in Bend this morning.  The twisty road over the Cascades is much worse.  

 


I wish to thank all of you who have read and followed this blog, and especially those who left comments.  I hope that a time not too far away will allow the in-person gatherings we once enjoyed.  In the mean time, adventure as you can, however you can.

 Love,
Sharon




 

11 comments:

  1. Glad you posted as I was thinking about you and praying that nothing had befallen you in the 10 days since we’d last heard. As you well know from your posts that this is no country for the careless or overly bold. We travelled with thanks to your gifts of language and image. The lingering question: there had to be many hours not outside - what did you bring to read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill for following and giving observant comments. Reading Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper, is an adventure that never gets out of town. It is one too hard for me, one I would fail. We all have gifts in something, and faults in something. I for one need to work on them both.

      Delete
    2. thank you, Sharon, for this gift of blue shadows on blue light.

      Delete
    3. Yes Toti, the camera often adds a bluish tinge to bright snow scenes. There is s much contrast between shadow, dark tree, and ultra-bright snow, that it, like me, gets snow-blinded. At high elevation the effect is greater. I try to correct for it in Photoshop, but can't entirely. It's the old cliché - you have to be there.

      Delete
  2. Dear Sharon

    I am imagining you now at a very warm and welcoming stopping place, having avoided all cornice collapses... a new concept for me. I looked it up, as I had never heard of it before! And it is good to add to my vocabulary and things to watch out for! Should I ever in a close encounter with one!

    I was impressed also with yourreturn to the site of your one mishap an interesting afterword to your safe adventure. And happy it was the sole of it.

    I love that you and the rabbit shared that pristine landscape search. I never saw a rabbit in the snow... and it is hard to imagine what it finds!

    Today at Caltech on a pleasant day one squirrel we know rushed eagerly up, greeting us as if to say quick give me walnuts I am so hungry and probably nursing my babies in 10 minutes. We have not seen babies but I think we might soon! Few visitors there to help...Caltech still closed to students.

    Thank you for painting your self portrait the way trees do on snow
    And sharing!

    I am glad if you can nestle in the best of overnight stopping places for a few days at least, and be with our dear friends who appreciate and encourage

    sending love to you and them!

    And hoping your venture into another return is easy and safe as you enter a world where snow is rare, except in the peaks and dreams. . .

    Love And look forward to our next adventures, and your story telling@

    Kathabela
    Ps so happy to see Toti here admiring your blue tree shadows. She also came to my little Village Poets reading yesterday and read two.poemss. a joy .
    And I happy to be able to start this day with an early morning visit rabbit-like on what is growing amidst the snow in your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathabela, I'm glad you like rabbit. He's quite industrious, you know, finding the thinnest snow where he can scratch about for morsels on the ground. But he also likes deep snow where he can munch on the tops of bushes, out of reach in summer. Maybe it's a she rabbit with babies coming along, like your squirrel? I'd like to think not, but that she'd time it for a warm burrow in summer.

    Home tomorrow, see you on zoom, and maybe in person soon.

    I'm almost home now, just one more day of driving. The visit was great. the hosts as always, provided a fine burrow, good food, and a hike into my past where trees grow tall and straight. I've been away so long that it seems like the start of new trip - coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad you are on your road trip home!
    I wonder how the world of home will feel now?! We can visit the squirrels.
    Santa Barbara has rabbits. But not Caltech..so far. Looking forward and yes hope you can zoom tomorrow! I am glad your visit was great and you did so well the whole way! Love
    Kathabela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gifted eye for choosing what is important to you to photograph and then share with your readers.
    .
    The snow with the wind create wonderful snow sculptures that you catch their beauty.
    .
    My son in Denver has a rabbit or two living outside his front door just to the side of the walk ...
    you have me wondering about
    how they get their food in the city ... industrious creatures :) <3
    .
    Look forward to your next adventure
    and
    Catching up on the ones I missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siggi, Some people in Pinedale, Wyoming, have pet wild rabbits that come every evening. They trade their perky little poses for handouts of carrots and lettuce. How we learn to live in society rather than living in the wild.

      Delete
  6. I am trying to figure out how to follow your new adventure.
    .
    Your photos, your poems, your adventures, I love ...
    your tale of the rabbits remind me of the crows, squirrels, ravens that frequent my back yard feeder .. they recognize the car of the person that puts the feed out in the feeder.
    When he arrives, the call goes out .. he's here he's here ..
    if I am home, and the feeder is empty, especially on the coldest day, a "volunteer" will sit on the feeder facing the dining-room window til I
    refresh their food.
    .
    I might not always tell you but I do always enjoy seeing you and listening to what you share :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hanks Siggi, I appreciate your following my trips and your comments.

      Delete